We're a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA), a denomination with deep roots in American history and Reformed Theology.
Lake Hills Presbyterian Church (USA) combines a beautiful house of worship and education, a recreation area, and a spirit of joy to create a unique "retreat" for people seeking to know God in a diversity of ways. We know each other by name. We're big enough to get things done, but small enough that you won't get lost.
Weekdays at Lake Hills, you'll hear children playing on the ballfields, watch grown-ups huffing and puffing around the jogging trail, and see senior adults coming to community meetings. Our church is a busy place. It's a hub of activity and learning.
"A CHURCH IN THE COMMUNITY, SERVING THE COMMUNITY OF GOD."
Lake Hills is a church dedicated to service. Our church makes both overseas and domestic mission trips. Our members are active in a number of community programs that share compassion with persons of less privilege.
Our youth and children's programs are, in a word, active. Our youth meet on Sunday nights and have a wild time of learning together. They often share their talents during Sunday worship. Our Children's Choirs, Sunday Schools, and Summer Recreation Program are filled with loud, energetic kids who happily demonstrate how the kingdom of God is supposed to look.
A congregation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Lake Hills stands in a long tradition of faith. We believe we are truly called to be "Reformed and always reforming" - to be always inviting, always learning, always celebrating God's grace.
As the suburban area south of Fort Loudon Lake and west of Alcoa Highway in Knox County developed in the 1950's, several residents began to feel the need for a community church. After diligent work by the 32 charter members, Lake Hills Presbyterian Church was organized by Knoxville Presbytery on October 20, 1957, under the helpful sponsorship of the Sequoyah Hills Presbyterian Church.
By December, services which had been held in the homes of members were moved to the Presbyterian Chapel (a trailer) on Alcoa Highway; and in February of 1958 , the Rev. Robert A. (Bob) Larson began his ministry as the first pastor. The completed first unit of the building at Maloney Road and Montlake Drive was dedicated on April 10, 1960. A much-needed larger sanctuary and additional classrooms and offices were added in 1968, increasing the church's ability to serve the worship, instruction, and meeting place needs of the community. In October 2000, the church began construction once again to expand its facility, enlarging the fellowship hall and adding additional Sunday School classes.
By 1978, the concept of a community church, first envisioned in 1958, had become a reality. In cooperation with the community and the county, tennis courts, a basketball goal, playground equipment, and a ball field had been established on the 15-acre property. A .4mile walking trail followed through a bequest from Dean Spencer, long time member of the community. A supervised summer recreation program for young people was underway and continues to this day. Community organizations felt welcome to use the building for their meetings, as well as Boy and Girl Scout groups. Outreach to the Montgomery Village Ministry, Mount Olive Elementary School, South Knoxville Girls Club, Lakeshore Mental Health Institute, and food pantries for the needy served the extended neighborhood.
During its history, the church has been served by pastors: Robert A. Larson, Thomas W. Currie, John S. Carothers, William W. Peters, and James W. McTyre. Thanks to the leadership of its outstanding and dedicated laity, Lake Hills remains committed to its original mission, which is to lift up Christ in such a way as to be a church in the community - serving the community of God.